WRGW Talk

For the chattiest hosts at WRGW

Make or Bake this Outbreak: Peach Pie

BY // EMILY VENEZKY

I’m excited to announce that on Thursday, September 10th at 7 pm I will be hosting WRGW’s first Welcome Week 2020 event, “Bake with Me” at this link. I will be making a simple peach pie and I’m including the recipe here so anyone can buy the ingredients and make their own delicious pie at home with me.

The best way to celebrate the end of summer is to bake with some seasonal fruit! I feel like I wait all year long to get my hands on stone fruit, especially because they bake so well when they are ripe.

I bought my peaches at the Dupont Circle Farmers Market, where there are lots of vendors selling the perfect box of peaches for this recipe. Most vendors are even kind enough to feel how ripe the peaches are for you so you can maintain social distancing. It’s important to have very ripe peaches for this recipe!

A note about the crust for this recipe, you have to make it the night before or at least a few hours before. It’s an easy recipe but if you don’t have the time to make the crust a store-bought version works really well here too!

For the “Bake with Me” event, I recommend either having your homemade crust in the fridge for a few hours before we start or pulling out a store-bought crust when we get to the pie building part!

I hope to see some friendly faces at the “Bake with Me” event, don’t be afraid to join in to talk about WRGW and remote broadcasting this year if you don’t feel like baking a pie!

Simple Peach Pie

Crust Ingredients

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

⅔ cup cold butter

¼ cup ice water

Pie Filling Ingredients

5-6 peaches, peeled and sliced

2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)

1 to 1 ¼ cup sugar

¼ cup flour

Sprinkling of nutmeg

A little water for closing the crusts

Crust Steps (must do a few hours before making pie!)

1. Mix the flour and salt. Then add the butter, cut up into 2-inch pieces. Use a pastry cutter/dough blender to cut in the butter, or just work in the butter with your fingers. It should make a crumbly mixture, similar to thick sand.
  2. Mix in ice water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, with a fork until the dough sticks together. Pat it together, do not overhandle.
  3. Shape into two flattened discs, wrap in wax paper (or reusable beeswax paper if you have it), and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Pie Steps

1. Mix peach slices with lemon juice. Add sugar and flour and mix.
  2. Roll out the first pastry disc (or store-bought pie dough) and place in a 9-inch pie plate, use your fingers to make the dough lie flat against the pan.
  3. Add the peach filling, sprinkle a little nutmeg over the top.
  4. Roll out the second disc (or store-bought pie dough). Cuts slits in a decorative pattern, about 3 to 5 slits in the middle of the circle.
  5. Place the second circle of pastry on top of the filling, wet the bottom dough crust with cold water. Seal up the pie by pinching the bottom and top edges together, all around the pie. Cut off any excess pastry.
  6. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn down the temp to 375 degrees and cook until the peaches bubble and the pastry is golden about 45 minutes. Serve slightly warm! 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *