WRGW Talk

For the chattiest hosts at WRGW

Comfort Movies and Guilty Pleasures

BY // SOFIA GUZMAN

When someone asks about your favorite movies, you are most likely to say: “Oh, I just love Inception and The Godfather!” I do this as well; a few of my favorite movies are The Double Life of Veronique, The Social Network, and Mommy. I have made two different lists for movies I enjoy: “Favorites” and the other “Comfort Movies.” Why don’t I just pile them all together? Because I’m embarrassed! No one will take you seriously when you say that Disney’s Ice Princess is a cinematic masterpiece. I have lost track of how many times I have watched that movie, but it is something that you can watch any time you are feeling blue or just ecstatic. I would consider most of my comfort movies guilty pleasures, and most people probably would as well. Familiarity and nostalgia should not be something to feel ashamed of; there is a reason you like it so much, even if it’s not considered one of the best movies of all time. 

What exactly makes a comfort movie? Out of curiosity, I asked a few people what their choices were, and they responded with films such as Ratatouille, Meet the Robinsons, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and The Incredibles. Knowing what will happen makes people feel safe; it feels like holding your childhood teddy bear, especially since most times these movies are watched right before going to bed (at least in my case). They are also almost always tied to when you watched them when you were younger and it made some sort of impact on you. It could have changed your perspective or inspired you in some way! I remember when I watched Jump In! I begged my parents to buy me a jump rope, and when I finally got it, I was constantly jumping in front of my apartment in my old neighborhood. Another comfort movie of mine is Mamma Mia!, I remember going to the theater in 2008 not knowing what I was going to watch and being in complete awe when I saw the big screen. I recognized the songs because I would watch a DVD full of ABBA music videos every time I was picked up from preschool. I had no idea that there was already a musical based on my favorite songs. Sometimes, I randomly watch clips from the movie to feel better, it has a big place in my heart! 

Comfort movies are always there to give you a hug when you are having a bad day. Go relive that one time you came home from school and watched Toy Story while eating a huge bowl of ice cream! Don’t be ashamed of telling people one of your favorite movies is Sky High, chances are they have a Gnomeo and Juliet poster in their bedroom.

3 thoughts on “Comfort Movies and Guilty Pleasures

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *